This is why you should stop drinking out of plastic bottles...

Publish Date
Thursday, 24 August 2017, 10:30AM

Everyone knows that drinking from plastic bottles is not exactly the best thing for our planet.

But it turns out it's also not that good for our body too...

  1. They release harmful chemicals into your water.
    Everyday wear and tear (like heat in a hot car or UV radiation from the sun) can cause the outer layers of plastic to break down. Which means chemicals called bisphenol A (BPA) or bisphenol S (BPS) can be released into your drink. If you ingest even a small amount of these chemicals (which imitates estrogen) it can change the way your endocrine system functions. Exposure has been linked to chronic diseases, such as diabetes, stokes, heart disease, asthma, and cancer.

  2. It could make it harder for you to have a baby.
    In 2013, researchers found that those who have high levels of BPA in their blood, urine, and work environment are less likely to have a successful pregnancy. Sheela Sathyanarayana, MD, associate professor of environmental and occupational health sciences, says because BPA mimics estrogen it could interfere with different stages of pregnancy, such as fertilisation and implantation.

  3. Refilling plastic bottles could expose you to harmful bacteria.
    Regular use can break down plastic bottles, which means even the smallest cracks can harbour bacteria. Charles Gerba, PhD, professor of microbiology and environmental sciences says bottles can be home to norovirus-, cold-, and flu-causing bacteria.

To stay healthy - and keep the environment clean and green - it's best to stick with bottles made from glass or stainless steel without an epoxy liner!