- Publish Date
- Friday, 18 January 2019, 7:20AM
Prince Philip has been involved in a car crash this morning (NZT).
The Duke of Edinburgh, 97, was driving but was not injured in the collision, which took place close to the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, Buckingham Palace confirmed.
Police and ambulance rushed to the scene where two people, neither understood to be the prince, were treated for minor injuries.
The duke was seen by a doctor following the crash as a precaution, say Sky News
Pictures reportedly taken at the scene show the Prince's Land Rover flipped on its side following a crash with a black people mover.
The Duke's vehicle was pulling out of a driveway onto the A149 motorway when the accident happened.
According to eyewitnesses, the vehicle that the Duke was driving overturned.
An image of the crash scene from ITV.
The eyewitnesses said they helped the Duke out of the vehicle. He was conscious but very shocked and shaken.
Officers made the area safe, while an ambulance crew assisted two people with minor injuries.
A police spokesman said: "We were called to the scene at around 3pm to reports of a two-vehicle collision.
"The road is not blocked. Recovery has been called and we are at the scene waiting for them to arrive."
A Buckingham Palace statement said: "The Duke of Edinburgh was involved in a road traffic accident with another vehicle this afternoon.
"The Duke was not injured. The accident took place close to the Sandringham Estate. Local police attended the scene."
Prince Philip, who underwent hip surgery in early 2018, was pictured enjoying a solo spin around Balmoral as recently as September last year.
Now officially retired from public duty, the prince was last spotted attending church with the Queen and extended family on August 19th.
The Queen and the prince have been at Sandringham for several days and attended church on Sunday.
This article was first published on the NZ Herald and is republished here with permission.