Medics Fall Ill After Contact With 'Substance'

Publish Date
Thursday, 11 June 2015, 3:16PM

Three St John paramedics are being hospitalised after coming into contact with an unknown chemical while treating a man in an Auckland shopping mall bathroom.

A large emergency service presence is at Westfield Manukau.

St John spokesman Robbie Walker said three paramedics and the male patient were being transported to Middlemore Hospital.

Fire Service spokesman Jaron Phillips said they had come into contact with a "jar" of an unknown chemical while treating the patient who had also come into contact with the chemical.

Mr Walker said the original patient was in a serious condition while one paramedic was in a serious condition; one in a moderate condition and one in a minor condition.

Mr Phillips said the man had the jar of chemical, understood to be a liquid, in a bathroom at the mall.

Police, firefighters and St John were seen heading to the shopping centre on the corner of Great South Rd and Manukau Station Rd about 1.20pm.

The Fire Service was working to control the dangerous substance and decontaminate other staff.