- Publish Date
- Friday, 15 July 2016, 1:21PM
• French officials say more than 77 dead in Nice attack.
• More than 100 people injured after truck ploughs into crowd celebrating Bastille Day.
• Man behind wheel of truck fired shots into crowd after crash.
• Driver shot dead by police.
The driver of a large truck that mowed down hundreds of revellers at Bastille Day celebrations in Nice drove in a zig-zag fashion at about 70km/h to hit as many people as possible, say witnesses.
Officials have confirmed 77 people are dead after the truck ploughed into a crowd celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, during a fireworks display.
Reports from Nice say a 31-year-old Tunisian man was driving the truck. No further details are available.
French president Francois Hollande is expected to make a televised address at 1.30pm (NZT).
At least 100 people were injured and many are crowding the lobby of luxury hotel Negresco, which has been turned into a field hospital.