- Publish Date
- Thursday, 4 February 2016, 7:38AM
Australia media have reacted badly to their team's Eden Park capitulation, taking the long handle to their team while offering scant praise to a rampant Black Caps line-up.
Major media outlets across the Tasman rushed to put the knife into Steve Smith's tourists without necessarily providing praise for the Kiwis.
The Sydney Morning Herald and the Sydney Daily Telegraph led the way but both major media outlets preferred to lacerate their own team before grudgingly acknowledging New Zealand's fine performance.
The Daily Telegraph wrote that Australia deserved their "humiliating defeat" and only had themselves to blame after a "baffling decision" to leave Usman Khawaja out of their line-up.
"The Kiwis set a total of 307 for Australia to chase, with a man of the match performance from Martin Guptill the highlight of the innings. With an achievable total to run down, Australia did themselves no favours at the start of their innings, losing 6-41 within the first 10 overs. A partnership from Matthew Wade and James Faulkner looked to steady the ship, but it was not enough to keep it from sinking," wrote the Telegraph.
The Sydney Morning Herald was equally damning of the Aussie effort in the Chapple-Hadlee opener at Eden Park.
"Australia's turbo-charged Eden Park meltdown has brutally highlighted the difficulties Steve Smith's men will face in New Zealand this month as they aim to regain the No.1 Test ranking," the paper told its readers before adding: "Shaun Marsh is again in the firing line, in danger of losing his place to Usman Khawaja, after again nicking off cheaply with (Steve) Smith forecasting changes for the must-win second game in Wellington."
The 159-run capitulation to a rampant Black Caps outfit may have come in the 50-over arena but it inspired little confidence for success in the upcoming Test series, said the Herald.
"The heavy loss has put the one-day world champion's run of seven consecutive series victories in grave danger and again shone the spotlight on Australia's weakness against the swinging ball," noted the media outler.
"Smith disputed claims the ball was swinging, which means he is either in denial about Australia's problems or casts the collapse in an even darker light.
"The shellshocked Australians, who crumbled inside 25 overs before the lights had taken full effect, have just two days to work on their flaws before the second match in Wellington and little over a week until the first Test."
The Herald stated that the "flat tracks of home must now seem a world away for Australia's batsmen, whose torrent of runs slowed to a trickle against a red-hot Kiwi pace attack. Just as they did when they visited the same venue in the World Cup, Australia folded with the bat, dismissed for a paltry 148 after collapsing to 6-41 in nine dramatic overs."
The paper also noted the "alarming speed at which the visitors' batsmen unravelled must have brought an uneasy sense of deja vu to any Australian fan with the debacle at Trent Bridge still at the forefront of their mind. Whereas that disintegration occurred on a treacherous deck, the wicket at Eden Park was hardly a batsman's graveyard. It had earlier played true enough for the Kiwis to amass 307".