- Publish Date
- Thursday, 12 October 2017, 2:09PM
A test that was first published in 2005 has resurfaced online testing people's IQ.
The test contains three tricky questions and proof of a high intellect is realising this and working out the answers accordingly.
Do you have above average intelligence? Take the test and find out...
1. A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?
2. If it takes five machines five minutes to make five widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
3. In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?
MOST PEOPLE ANSWER:
1. 10 pence
2. 100 minutes
3. 24 days
THE CORRECT ANSWERS:
1. If the ball costs X, and the bat costs £1 more, then the cost is X+£1
Therefore Bat+ball=X + (X+1) =1.10
This means 2X+1=1.1, and 2X=0.1 and X= 0.05
Correct answer: Five pence
2. If five machines can make five widgets in five minutes, one machine will make one widget in five minutes.
So if 100 widgets are all making widgets, they can make 100 in fives minutes.
Correct answer: 5 minutes
3. If the lily patch is covering the pond fully on day 48, and it's doubled in size that means you only have to go back one day to when it was covering half the pond. So on day 47, the lake is half full.
Correct answer: 47 days