Bay boy fails at Deep Dive

Publish Date
Tuesday, 2 December 2014, 1:30PM

Hear William Trubridge ahead of his world record attempt on at the 102m Steinlager Pure Deep Dive.

 

UPDATE - POST DIVE:

Hawke's Bay's world champion free diver William Trubridge has failed in his attempt to break his unassisted freedive world record of 101m.

Although he reached the new depth of 102, he required assistance when returning to the surface.

The 34-year-old told TV One's Breakfast moments after the dive: "I feel like I owe New Zealand a world record and when I do reach it, it will be dedicated to everyone who has supported me."

He said he was "disappointed" not to complete the dive, after calling it quits about 30m from the surface, but was "humbled" with the support from thousands of New Zealanders.

The former Havelock North High School student said from the Bahamas that "the first half of the ascent, coming up, it was feeling good".

Despite the failed attempt, Trubridge said the exposure for the sport of free diving had been fantastic.

"I'm really glad it is getting this kind of coverage ... it can only grow [the sport]."

He said he will make another attempt at the world record dive but will likely wait until May next year.

"I wouldn't have a huge amount of confidence and it would be 50/50," he said.

"I wouldn't want to risk another failure like today."

 

(Source - NZME / Hawke's Bay Today)