Almost everyone on earth will deal with some form of mental health struggle at least once in their life.
And for a lot of people that battle is with anxiety.
Stace Mike and Anika caught up with Kiwi clinical psychologist and bestselling author Gwendoline Smith to talk about her brand new book The Book of Angst – out now - which drills down into social anxiety – which one of the most comment yet often underdiagnosed forms of anxiety.
Based on cognitive behavioural therapy, Gwendoline’s approach is scientific and logic-based, but also straightforward and practical. Using simple, clear language and humorous illustrations, as well as seven "therapy session" chapters, Gwendoline gives detailed step-by-step advice on how to cope.
Gwendoline’s previous offerings include The Book of Overthinking and The Book of Knowing. Find out more about her at gwendolinesmith.co.nz.
Where to get help:
- Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
- Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
- Need To Talk: Text or call 1737 (available 24/7)
- Youth services: (06) 3555 906
- Youthline: 0800 376 633
- Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
- Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
- Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
- Rainbow Youth: (09) 376 4155
- CASPER Suicide Prevention
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.