- Publish Date
- Wednesday, 6 June 2018, 8:00AM
Kate Spade was found dead inside her Manhattan apartment on Tuesday morning.
The iconic designer - who shot to fame with her line of eponymous purses - died due to an apparent suicide according to an NYPD spokesperson.
Spade, 55, left a note telling her teenage daughter that it was not her fault, before taking her own life. She was discovered "unconscious and unresponsive" by her housekeeper inside her bedroom, the Daily Mail reports.
She is survived by her husband Andy, who is the brother of actor David Spade, and her 13-year-old daughter Frances. Kate was also the aunt of Rachel Brosnahan, the star of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel.
Her husband was at the apartment when his wife took her own life according to police.
A police source told the New York Post that the suicide was over "relationship problems."
Kate and her husband launched their design line back in 1993, starting at first with just handbags before expanding to clothes and other accessories.
WHERE TO GET HELP:
• Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
• Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
• Need To Talk? 1737: - Text 1737
• Youthline: 0800 376 633
• Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
• Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
• Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
• Rainbow Youth: (09) 376 4155
• Samaritans 0800 726 666
• If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.
This article was first published on Daily Mail and is republished here with permission.