Man Tries To Kill Spider At Gas Station With Lighter: Explosive Results

Publish Date
Monday, 28 September 2015, 7:04AM

A man with an apparent case of arachnophobia caused a fire at a suburban Detroit gas pump by putting a lighter to what he says was a spider near his fuel door.

WJBK-TV reports Saturday that he escaped injury and his vehicle suffered little damage, but the gas pump was destroyed.

A clerk shut off the pump from indoors and called the fire department.

The motorist can be heard on the surveillance video at the Center Line station asking: "Is that a spider in there?"

The video then shows flames erupting along the car's side, the pump and the pavement.

The man darts to safety and later uses a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. A spider is not seen.

The clerk, Susan Adams, says he apologised the next day.

"He was sorry," she said.

"He was sorry, he said he didn't know. It is just one of those things that happen - stupidity."

NZ Herald