- Publish Date
- Wednesday, 16 May 2018, 8:00AM
Meghan Markle's father has today changed his mind and said he does now want to attend her wedding to Prince Harry – if doctors will allow him to fly to England.
Thomas Markle astonishingly pulled out of the royal wedding yesterday, saying he didn’t want to embarrass his daughter any further after the Mail on Sunday revealed he had staged paparazzi photos for money.
But today he appears to have backtracked on his decision after the bride-to-be pleaded with him to walk her down the aisle, the Daily Mail reports.
Photo / Getty
The 73-year-old told TMZ that Meghan tried calling him on Monday, but he wasn't near his phone. She later sent a text saying she loved him and was concerned about his health.
Mr Markle said: "I hate the idea of missing one of the greatest moments in history and walking my daughter down the aisle.
"Of course, I'd walk her down the aisle. This is a historic moment. I'd like to be a part of history."
However, Mr Markle said his attendance depends on if doctors will allow him to make the trip across the pond after suffering a heart attack a week ago.
Mr Markle also revealed that Meghan held no hard feelings against him for setting up paparazzi photos for money.
When asked what the Queen thought about his money grab, Mr Markle laughed and said: "I don't think the Queen is thinking about what I'm doing."
Mr Markle said although he doesn't believe faking the "hammy" photos was that serious, he admitted it was a 'stupid' decision.
Mr Markle made the shock announcement that he changed his mind on Tuesday afternoon.
He also revealed he was back in hospital with chest pains, and doctors were performing a number of tests on him.
Doctors are said to have told him his heart was "seriously damaged" after suffering a heart attack a week ago.
Mr Markle said he has been pleading with doctors to release him from hospital, but doesn't know if they will clear him in time.
He also blasted his eldest daughter Samantha Markle, who revealed she convinced Mr Markle to set up the photos.
Mr Markle said Samantha has no real relationship with Meghan, and knows nothing of her relationship with Prince Harry.
Before changing his mind, Mr Markle said he believed his ex-wife Doria Ragland would be a "good choice" to give their daughter away at St George's Chapel, Windsor.
So far there has been no official announcement on who will now be walking Meghan down the aisle.
But according to TMZ, Mr Markle believes Doria, who enjoys a close relationship with her daughter, should now be the one to give her away if he can not make it.
Meghan and her mother Doria. Photo / Instagram
A friend of Miss Markle, 36, and her fiancé, Prince Harry, told the Mail that she was standing by her father and pleaded for understanding, saying he was "not in a good place".
The friend said: "This is not what she wants. She obviously wants her dad there. And the idea of contemplating him not being there now is not something that she wants to have to do".
The couple issued an unprecedented official statement through Kensington Palace in the wake of the crisis.
A spokesman said: "This is a deeply personal moment for Ms Markle in the days before her wedding.
"This is a deeply personal moment for Ms Markle in the days before her wedding. She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr Markle in this difficult situation."
This article was first published on Daily Mail and is republished here with permission.