Woman's iPhone Catches Fire Mid-Flight

Publish Date
Monday, 21 March 2016, 1:23PM

 

Anna Crail, who was flying to Honolulu for her spring break vacation, was watching a movie on Thursday night when her smartphone suddenly caught on fire.

The phone fell underneath a seat and passengers scrambled to the aisles before flight attendants extinguished the fire.

Crail, who initially thought the plane was going down, wrote on Twitter: 'Legit saw my life flash before my eyes tonight when my phone burst into flames midflight and caught the plane on fire.'

'And I flipped it off onto the ground and it got under someone's seat, and the flames were just getting higher and a bunch of people stood up.'

While hoverboards have been banned from planes due to their highly flammable lithium batteries, an aviation expert told KOMO it is improbable that smartphones will be prohibited anytime soon.

No one was injured and the flight continued on to its destination.

Alaska Airlines has not determined the cause of the fire, and the Federal Aviation Administration is conducting an investigation.

Read more at nzherald.co.nz